Deacon Pat's Books

Deacon Pat's Books
Click on book to be taken to the Amazon site.

Friday, August 28, 2026

The Man Beside That Truck

 


The Man Beside That Truck

I came across this old photograph of myself standing beside a little pickup truck that, at the time, I thought was about the greatest thing in the world.

But when I looked at the picture again, I realized I wasn’t really looking at the truck. I was looking at the young man standing beside it—young, healthy, energetic, and completely unaware of everything life still had waiting for him.

He didn’t know about the love, family, faith, joys, struggles, losses, accomplishments, and countless miles that would eventually become his story.

That thought inspired this song, “The Man Beside That Truck.”

There are times I miss that younger version of myself. But I wouldn’t trade all the years I’ve lived just to be young again. That young man had his whole future ahead of him.

I have the memories of the ride.

And maybe that’s the real lesson: no matter our age, there is still some road ahead of us. Keep driving. Keep loving. Keep believing. And thank God for every mile.

No comments: