100 Days to Freedom (FREE) PDF Workbook


 

Free PDF Version of 100 Days to Freedom



Hard copies may be ordered through Amazon

                  Link to Amazon



Daily audio recordings can be found on The Catholic Journey Podcast with Deacon Pat Kearns starting January 7, 2022

Podcasts from Deacon Pat and Friends (www.TheCatholicJourney.NET)

Deacon Pat's Books

Deacon Pat's Books
Click on book to be taken to the Amazon site.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I must say that I have never really realized the significance of this man or this day entirely. Yes I have studied the history and have heard of the injustice, but I was raised in a family and small community with Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, and a variety of races that all worked together, played together, and socialized together. I didn't witness racism personally so it never seemed to be a significant issue to me.

Maybe because I was raised in an Irish family, and the fact that my father's generation endured prejudice, had felt the pain of injustice and hate, that we were raised understanding that all men are created equal. Maybe it was our strong Catholic Faith that teaches that we all have a soul and are precious to God, that we are all created in his image, that sheltered me from the reality of the hate and evil that existed.

Regardless, this man, together with other great men like Ronald Reagan, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and Franklin D. Roosevelt have had an impact on millions of people, and have contributed to what has made the United States and the freedom that we enjoy today.



The full version of Martin Luther King's famous "I have a dream" speech.
.
.

No comments: