100 Days to Freedom (FREE) PDF Workbook


 

Free PDF Version of 100 Days to Freedom



Hard copies may be ordered through Amazon

                  Link to Amazon



Daily audio recordings can be found on The Catholic Journey Podcast with Deacon Pat Kearns starting January 7, 2022

Podcasts from Deacon Pat and Friends (www.TheCatholicJourney.NET)

Deacon Pat's Books

Deacon Pat's Books
Click on book to be taken to the Amazon site.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Severely Mentally Retarded

(The above picture is not the clients I work with, just an example taken off the Internet)

As many people have also experienced, we found ourselves in a situation where we could benefit from a little extra income. I looked for sometime to find a way to supplement our income, but needed a job that would also give me flexibility in working the hours that I wanted to work.

I didn't want to miss out on family time and important events in the lives of my wife and children.


Well, I found a Job as a contracted "Nurse Consultant" for 4 homes that care for severely developmentally disabled Adults.


I really don't think things happen by chance at all. I think this was an opportunity to grow, both spiritually as well as clinically.


The adults that live in these homes are severely and profoundly retarded. Most cannot talk, most cannot walk, and many cannot eat and must have their food administered through a feeding tube.


Yet, you can sure see the life and spirit in them. The are loved and cared for by exceptional and remarkable caretakers.


I have so much to learn, but by the grace of God I have been given the opportunity to see yet another dimension of God's children, whom he loves at least if not more than he loves me.


I believe that God places situations, people, and events into our lives as part of a plan of continual growth toward the fulfillment of holiness and gives us an opportunity to aspire to be a saint, or at least saintly.

Our only obstacle is our own will, yet God will always be there offering his endless grace to help us see the light........


I pray that I can use what has been given to me to grow beyond what I feel are my own limitations, and use every opportunity to become the Best Father, Husband, Friend, Boss, Nurse, and Deacon to all that I come in contact with.

Thank you once again Lord for all that you do for me and my family.

No comments: