I have been thinking about the idea of self-pleasure for sometime. How many of us do things that are not good for us but we do it anyway because it brings us pleasure.
How many of us smoke?
How many of us drink too much?
How many of us over eat?
How many of us spend too much money buying things?
How many of us watch unholy images on the TV or the internet?
How many of us are lazy?
All of these things are done for the pure sake of pleasure even though it does nothing but seperate us from God and the life that can bring us peace.
Actually, turning away from carnal pleasure, sacrifice, and self denial is the action that can bring true comfort, peace, and tranquility.
When we continually turn to self-pleasure in our lives, physical pleasure, it only leaves us wanting more. Haven't you noticed, the more we turn our backs on true christian principles, we are left with a desirous appetite for more and more pleasure. It is like putting more wood on the fire.
It is when we reject the temptation of self desire that our spirit is freed.... It is then that we can fill ourselves with the true love that only comes from God. This is the love that permeates our soul and never leaves us wanting.
Less is always more when it comes to fulfilling our own needs. The less we desire for ourselves, the more God will fill us with himself.
Catholics have a 2000 year old history of self denial.
- We do not eat meat of Fridays (However most Catholics have forgotten that this is still in effect today).
- We attend Mass every Sunday and on the holy days of obligation even if that means missing a football game.
- We go to confession regularly.
- We try to serve those in need. We are charitable.
- We maintain the tradition of Fasting, Alms giving and Prayer.
Less is more...... until we are filled with Him!