Five Steps For a Good Confession
1. Examine your conscience.
2. Be sincerely sorry for your sins.
3. Confess your sins.
4. Resolve to amend your life.
5. After your confession, do the penance the priest assigns.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Procedure in the Confessional
“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been -
Then tell your mortal sins and the number of times committed. If you have no mortal sin to confess, then confess the venial sins you have committed since your last confession.
“For these and all the sins of my past life I am truly sorry.”
“O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because of Thy just punishments, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all My love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.”
The Differences in sins
There are two major kinds of sin: original and actual.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Three simultaneous conditions must be fulfilled for a mortal sin:
So How do I prepare for Confession?
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall not have strange gods before me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord’s Day
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
Do I seek to be pure in my thoughts, words and actions?
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not desire your neighbor’s wife.
10. You shall not desire your neighbor’s goods.