100 Days to Freedom (FREE) PDF Workbook


 

Free PDF Version of 100 Days to Freedom



Hard copies may be ordered through Amazon

                  Link to Amazon



Daily audio recordings can be found on The Catholic Journey Podcast with Deacon Pat Kearns starting January 7, 2022

Podcasts from Deacon Pat and Friends (www.TheCatholicJourney.NET)

Deacon Pat's Books

Deacon Pat's Books
Click on book to be taken to the Amazon site.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Childhood Friend Is Going To Prison

I just received notice that my childhood friend is going to be sentenced to prison. I spent many years with this boy, who has become a man over the last 25 years. I had lost contact with him until just recently, when I found out about the accusation.

He will be sentenced next month and could be sent to prison for up 16 years.

How could this of happened?

We lived very similar lives as children, but yet he will now spend many years in punishment.

Why does God allow some to make such bad choices? Or does He?

I understand the concept of free will, and that God allows us to chose to live in his light, or to separate ourselves from him, But, I also understand that God sends us his grace at times to help us make better decisions and to avoid such evil.

In many ways the mystery of God's relationship with us is so difficult to understand.

It isn't as easy as choosing to follow him and all will be OK.

No matter what, trials and burdens become obstacles in our lives.

Why do some receive such huge trials and burdens, while others receive obstacles that seem so small?

What do some have to endure jail and prison, and the horrible culture that is present in prison, while others avoid such trials.

I have faith that God will use each and every situation the allow virtue, faith, and love to develop, but I must say that I am often confused as to why and how the Almighty God chooses to implement his plans.

I guess it would be ridicules to think that I could ever come close to understanding the greatness of God.

He allowed Moses and his chosen people to wander in the desert for 40 years, suffering, lamenting, and challenged their faith repeatedly.

Is that what he is doing with my childhood friend?

If there is a much greater life after this life (and I believe this), and if this suffering is only a part of the purification for the next and everlasting world, then I do see that some of this might begin to make sense.

I understand that you cannot see the holiness of a person's soul from the outside, and only God can realize what can or could be done to allow spiritual growth.

I don't truly know what God's plan is, but I only hope and pray that there is always a time for repentance, and time to reunite with our Lord, no matter what evil has been committed.

I pray for you, my friend Lupe.

I pray that our Lord with be at your side, that you may feel his presence, you feel his love and forgiveness, and that you will find peace and forgive yourself.

I pray for the victim, that healing will be in her life as well, and that God protects her from further harm, and that she can rest in God's love.

My heart burns with hurt for the both of you.......
---------------------------------------
I think of this scripture:
James 1:19-25
Know this, my dear brothers: everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath,
for the wrath of a man does not accomplish the righteousness of God.

Therefore, put away all filth and evil excess and humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you and is able to save your souls.
Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves.

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his own face in a mirror.

He sees himself, then goes off and promptly forgets what he looked like.

But the one who peers into the perfect law
of freedom and perseveres, and is not a hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, such a one shall be blessed in what he does.

No comments: